On this page we provide a treasure trove of resources to help you set-up your business, raise funding and incentivise your team.
Getting the right business structure
Some general comments on the building blocks of a good business structure
These articles go through the high-level general principles to take into account when formulating the best structure for your startup.
- What’s the best structure for my startup?
- I’m a start-up. How should I set up my new business?
- Why is a partnership a bad structure for your business?
Watch our video series on ‘Going into business with others’:
Information about companies
Most structures will involve a limited liability company. These resources discuss what a company is and how to set one up correctly.
- How do companies work?
- Who gets to choose who goes on your board?
- Setting up a company in Australia
- Does your company need a Constitution?
- Company Constitutions v Shareholders Agreement
- How to operate a bank account
Information about trusts
These resources are relevant to understanding the best structure in which to hold your ‘investment’ in your new startup.
Raising money for your business
When you have exhausted your own resources you are going to want to start raising money from other people. This is where things can go seriously wrong unless you understand the opportunities and pitfalls.
- Raising money in Australia: our brief guide to the legal issues
- Hey founder, are you being left behind?
Employee share/equity schemes
You are likely to want to give equity to key employees, advisers and contractors to attract the best possible talent for your venture. The tax rules will have big impact on what you can and cannot do.
- ESS: Qualifying for ‘deferral’ of the taxable discount
- ESS: How do you work out the ‘discount’ when you grant an interest under an ESS?
- ESS: The ‘start-up’ concession
Protecting your intellectual property (IP)
You’re most likely to be investing your time in creating a lot of IP – make sure you own it, and it is protected:
- Who owns the IP?
- When your employee walks out the door, do they take your IP with them?
- How do I protect ‘my ideas’?
- Protect your confidential information with a mutual NDA
- Are your trade secrets walking out the door?
Getting the best help
You are going to need help to avoid the pitfalls and take full advantage of the opportunities. This is where we come in. We will guide you through the steps from startup to a successful and established industry player.
Call us on 1300 654 590 and speak directly with one of our experienced and friendly lawyers.