You’ve achieved financial independence. You’ve looked after your family and set them up for future success. You’ve also mentored staff and business associates. Not to mention paying a mountain-load of tax. You’ve already taken your fair share of responsibility and done good in the world. But now you want to do more. You want to make a difference in your wider community, and you want to make sure it is done right.
We understand that charity and social purpose shouldn’t be synonymous with dependence, bureaucracy and waste. We will help you invest your capital in enterprises and endeavours to make tangible and lasting change in the world.
For help making the most impact with your philanthropic dollars, call us now on 1300 654 590.
How we can help you
We work with organisations that want to make the most impact with their available resources.
Call us on 1300 654 590 to discuss how we can help your Not-for-profit organisation, Charity or Social Enterprise use its resources to best serve the community.
Why do we do this work?
We believe that we all have a responsibility to:
- Leave our world in at least as good a state as we come into it, and ideally improve it;
- Provide our kids with a society and environment to enjoy that is at least as positive, open and clean as we inherited; and
- Work towards providing everyone in society with as equal an opportunity as possible to live a meaningful and productive life.
We recognise that we have unique skills and knowledge that are highly valuable to Not For Profits (NFPs). As a law firm, we can make the most impact socially by helping other organisations that do social and environmental work, rather than doing the work directly. This means we support NFPs with our high-quality business law services, so they can then better serve our community and important social objectives.
Why are we good at this sort of work?
Our firm is in a very good position to provide quality services to NFPs because:
- Our core business revolves around entrepreneurs and investors, so we bring valuable business and strategic skills to the table;
- Each lawyer has broad legal experience (rather than being assigned to a particular ‘team’ or ‘specialisation’), meaning that we have a good overall understanding of the particular commercial risks and opportunities facing NFPs;
- In addition to these broad skills, we have also developed particular expertise in issues impacting the NFP sector such as NFP structures, fundraising laws, charity tax concessions and endorsements, ACNC charity registrations, and governance of NFP entities; and
- We can be flexible in the way that we engage with organisations, whether that be through the provision of ‘pro-bono’ services, taking up positions on a Board, working on a special project, or acting on the basis of an ongoing retainer.
The sort of clients we work with
We work with NFPs that treat their organisation as a accountable enterprise. What we mean by this is that:
- They are serious about making a real and long-lasting impact in the community;
- They are not doing good just for their own personal branding/ego;
- They are genuinely prepared to see their project/mission through to the end;
- They are flexible, adaptive and respond to changing circumstances and community needs;
- They understand the importance of developing a business model that is not solely dependent on the next government funding cycle, but draws funding from a variety of sources; and
- They recognise the value of professional services, and expect to pay for those services, rather than assume they will be donated for free. (That said, we do provide many services to this sector at our own cost, or at discounted rates.)
The leaders of these organisations see their role as a responsibility, not just an attractive by-line for their professional profile. They have done their research and understand that to make a real difference, you need the right support, the right mix of people in charge, and a disciplined focus on fulfilling your organisation’s mission.
For more information, or assistance with your NFP, call Simone on 1300 654 590, or email us at email@example.com.