The short answer is, no.
The Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) does not require directors to be given prior notice of any matters to be discussed at a directors/Board meeting, or any resolutions to be put to the directors/Board at the meeting.
Your Company’s Constitution may include specific provisions that require advanced notice of what will be considered in a directors/board meeting, and/or any resolutions that will be put to the directors to vote on in the meeting. However, this is not very common.
If there is nothing in your Company’s Constitution about advanced notice of director/Board resolutions, then the directors/Board are free to determine among themselves what notice (if any) is required of matters to be discussed and/or voted on in a directors/Board meeting.
If there is nothing in your Company’s Constitution, and the directors have not otherwise resolved what notice will be required, then any director can raise any issue and propose any resolution at a duly convened directors/Board meeting.
That said, if the directors who are present at the directors/Board meeting do not feel they have been given enough time to consider and then form a view on the issues, they can simply vote no.
For help with your company governance, call us on 1300 654 590.
How much notice do you need to give to call a directors/Board meeting?
Our Great Lawyer Guarantee
We want to be part of your team over the long term. We'll achieve this by sticking closely to the following principles:
- We'll listen carefully to understand what you want to achieve. Then we'll thoroughly explain our advice and step you through the documents. You can be sure you'll know the full consequences.
- Our lawyers work as a team, so someone will always be available to answer your questions, or point you in the right direction. You will also benefit from a range of perspectives and experience.
- One of our key goals is to pass on as much knowledge as we can, so you can make your own informed decisions. We want to make you truly independent.
- We only do what we're good at. You can be confident that we know what we're doing and won't pass on the cost of our learning.
- For advice and documents, we provide a fixed or capped quote so you don’t take price risk. If you're in a dispute, we'll map out the process and costs so you know what to expect.
- We're not in this game for our egos. We're in it for a front row seat to witness your success.
We measure our success on how efficiently we have facilitated your objectives, enhanced your relationships, and reduced the level of stress for all involved.
If we sound like people you can work with, call us now on 1300 654 590 and speak directly with a great lawyer.