Avoid Surcharge Land Tax in NSW – Exclude Foreign Beneficiaries from Your Discretionary Trust

What is surcharge land tax?

In NSW, land tax is a tax on land you own at midnight on 31 December of the previous year.

Surcharge land tax applies to residential land owned by a foreign person at midnight on 31 December of the previous year.

Revenue NSW administers and collects land tax.

Why is it relevant to my discretionary trust?

Many people own land through a discretionary trust.

However, discretionary trusts are usually considered to be foreign for land tax purposes. Why? Because every beneficiary that can potentially benefit from the trust is deemed to have the maximum percentage interest in the income or assets of the trust that may potentially be distributed by the trustee to them. This covers all beneficiaries of the trust – not just those beneficiaries who are specifically named.

Therefore, if any beneficiary is a foreign person, the trust will be considered foreign for land tax purposes. Depending on the definition of ‘beneficiary’ in your trust deed, this might include a British cousin, a company incorporated in Singapore that your uncle owns shares in or a foreign charity.

Who is a foreign person?

For land tax purposes, a person is a foreign person if they come within the meaning of ‘foreign person’ as it is defined in the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Act 1975 (Cth) and the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Regulation 2015 (Cth), as modified by section 104J of the Duties Act 1997 (NSW) (which specifically excludes Australian citizens from the definition of foreign person, even if they are not residing in Australia).

What can I do to avoid the surcharge?

We can help you to avoid the surcharge by amending your trust deed to exclude foreign beneficiaries for just $900 + GST. We know that you might be worried about amending your trust deed. Rest assured that we are trust and tax experts. Our tailored documents minimise the risk of you experiencing any unexpected consequences as a result of the changes to your deed.

If you fail to confirm changes to your trust with Revenue NSW by midnight 31 December 2020, your discretionary trust may be assessed as a foreign trust and be liable for surcharge land tax – a liability that would be applicable to both future and prior year land holdings.

To avoid the surcharge, call us on 1300 654 590 to discuss how we can help you or complete the form below and we will contact you to discuss your options.

The information contained in this post is current at the date of publishing – 19 November 2020

Our Great Lawyer Guarantee

We want to be part of your team over the long term. We'll achieve this by sticking closely to the following principles:

  • We'll listen carefully to understand what you want to achieve. Then we'll thoroughly explain our advice and step you through the documents. You can be sure you'll know the full consequences.
  • Our lawyers work as a team, so someone will always be available to answer your questions, or point you in the right direction. You will also benefit from a range of perspectives and experience.
  • One of our key goals is to pass on as much knowledge as we can, so you can make your own informed decisions. We want to make you truly independent.
  • We only do what we're good at. You can be confident that we know what we're doing and won't pass on the cost of our learning.
  • For advice and documents, we provide a fixed or capped quote so you don’t take price risk. If you're in a dispute, we'll map out the process and costs so you know what to expect.
  • We're not in this game for our egos. We're in it for a front row seat to witness your success

We measure our success on how efficiently we have facilitated your objectives, enhanced your relationships, and reduced the level of stress for all involved.

If we sound like people you can work with, call us now on 1300 654 590 and speak directly with a great lawyer.

Call 1300 654 590 and speak with a lawyer

You’ll be put straight through to a great lawyer who will guide you to the right solution.

The first actions you need to take if you have been appointed to manage your family’s charitable foundation or a Private Ancillary Fund

The first actions you need to take if you have been appointed to manage your family’s charitable foundation or a Private Ancillary Fund

If you have been newly appointed to manage a Private Ancillary Fund, you may feel overwhelmed or unsure what you need to do first. You do not want to get bogged down in administration when real objective is to make a positive impact on your community. We have put together a simple list of the first actions you need to take to make sure you start on the right foot.

read more