In South Australia you can transfer a property from a company to the shareholders of the company without paying stamp duty. The exemption is found is section 71(5)(a) of the Stamp Duties Act 1923 (SA).
It does not matter who the shareholders are. For example, the shareholders can be individuals, other companies and trusts.
Section 71(6) does not apply to deny the exemption from stamp duty if the shareholder is a trust. This is because the shareholder does not have a ‘beneficial interest’ in the property prior to the company transferring the property to the shareholder. This can be contrasted to the exemption available when a trust transfers property to a beneficiary. Under this exemption, if the beneficiary is also a trust, then section 71(6) denies the exemption, and duty is payable.
Our Great Lawyer Guarantee
We want to be part of your team over the long term. We'll achieve this by sticking closely to the following principles:
- We'll listen carefully to understand what you want to achieve. Then we'll thoroughly explain our advice and step you through the documents. You can be sure you'll know the full consequences.
- Our lawyers work as a team, so someone will always be available to answer your questions, or point you in the right direction. You will also benefit from a range of perspectives and experience.
- One of our key goals is to pass on as much knowledge as we can, so you can make your own informed decisions. We want to make you truly independent.
- We only do what we're good at. You can be confident that we know what we're doing and won't pass on the cost of our learning.
- For advice and documents, we provide a fixed or capped quote so you don’t take price risk. If you're in a dispute, we'll map out the process and costs so you know what to expect.
- We're not in this game for our egos. We're in it for a front row seat to witness your success.
We measure our success on how efficiently we have facilitated your objectives, enhanced your relationships, and reduced the level of stress for all involved.
If we sound like people you can work with, call us now on 1300 654 590 and speak directly with a great lawyer.