‘Probate’ is the official recognition by the Supreme Court that a Will is legally valid. You may need to get a ‘Grant of Probate’ before you can legally deal with any assets under a deceased person’s Will
A ‘Grant of Probate’ is a document which certifies that the Supreme Court recognises that the document presented is the last valid Will of the deceased, and that the executors now have the authority to deal with the estate assets and liabilities.
A Grant of Probate also acts as further proof of death of the deceased for the purposes of dealing with third parties, such as banks, share registries and the Lands Titles Office.
A Grant of Probate allows the Executors to:
- Collect the deceased person’s assets;
- Pay any debts of the deceased; and then
- Distribute the leftover estate to beneficiaries as directed by the Will.
If you have been appointed as an executor under a Will, we can help you with any questions you have about making a Probate Application. Please phone us on 1300 654 590 and we will be happy to assist.
Want to know more?
Click here to read more about our fixed fee Probate Services.
Our Great Lawyer Guarantee
We want to be part of your team over the long term. We'll achieve this by sticking closely to the following principles:
- We'll listen carefully to understand what you want to achieve. Then we'll thoroughly explain our advice and step you through the documents. You can be sure you'll know the full consequences.
- Our lawyers work as a team, so someone will always be available to answer your questions, or point you in the right direction. You will also benefit from a range of perspectives and experience.
- One of our key goals is to pass on as much knowledge as we can, so you can make your own informed decisions. We want to make you truly independent.
- We only do what we're good at. You can be confident that we know what we're doing and won't pass on the cost of our learning.
- For advice and documents, we provide a fixed or capped quote so you don’t take price risk. If you're in a dispute, we'll map out the process and costs so you know what to expect.
- We're not in this game for our egos. We're in it for a front row seat to witness your success.
We measure our success on how efficiently we have facilitated your objectives, enhanced your relationships, and reduced the level of stress for all involved.
If we sound like people you can work with, call us now on 1300 654 590 and speak directly with a great lawyer.