Australia’s estimated population is 23.4 million (ABS May 2014). According to the 2012 Census, there are around 5.7 million children, 2.37 million people on the aged pension, 850,000 on the invalid pension and more than 1.5 million on other governments benefits. There are 929,000 full-time students over 18 years of age, and 1.8 million direct government employees.
So the maths works out as follows – there are 13.2 million Australians relying on the incomes earned and taxes paid by the 10.2 million people who work in the private sector. That is 44% of the population is supporting itself – AND the other 56% of the population is relying on the payment of taxes, (and the erosion of savings).
I strongly support the welfare state – and we are a rich enough country to look after the less fortunate or talented within our society. I also accept that statistics do not always tell the whole story, and can be manipulated to make a particular point. But somehow I don’t think these numbers add up on a sustainable basis, particularly as the population ages.
Our Great Lawyer Guarantee
We want to be part of your team over the long term. We'll achieve this by sticking closely to the following principles:
- We'll listen carefully to understand what you want to achieve. Then we'll thoroughly explain our advice and step you through the documents. You can be sure you'll know the full consequences.
- Our lawyers work as a team, so someone will always be available to answer your questions, or point you in the right direction. You will also benefit from a range of perspectives and experience.
- One of our key goals is to pass on as much knowledge as we can, so you can make your own informed decisions. We want to make you truly independent.
- We only do what we're good at. You can be confident that we know what we're doing and won't pass on the cost of our learning.
- For advice and documents, we provide a fixed or capped quote so you don’t take price risk. If you're in a dispute, we'll map out the process and costs so you know what to expect.
- We're not in this game for our egos. We're in it for a front row seat to witness your success
We measure our success on how efficiently we have facilitated your objectives, enhanced your relationships, and reduced the level of stress for all involved.
If we sound like people you can work with, call us now on 1300 654 590 and speak directly with a great lawyer.