If you are considering selling your business, then watching this hour-long presentation by Andrew is simply a must.
This presentation contains a treasure-trove of useful anecdotes and strategies to help you achieve the best possible result.
This VideoPost is a five part series on how to buy or sell a business. It was recorded at the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel in Sydney in July 2013.
Each of the five parts lasts for about 12 minutes, giving a total viewing time of around 60 minutes.
What is this VideoPost about?
Do you own a business that you are looking to sell one day?
Have you thought about taking over someone else’s business?
Do you advise people about these issues?
If the answer to any of these questions is ‘yes’, then this VideoPost is for you.
In this VideoPost we provide practical guidance to the key issues, including:
- What does the purchase/sale process involve – from start to finish?
- How should I address the issue of ‘value’?
- What are the real differences between an ‘asset sale’ and an ‘equity sale’?
- If I am buying or selling, how should the deal be structured, and what am I missing out on if I do not get my way?
- What if I am only buying/selling part of a business – what are the implications?
- What documents are involved, and what key terms should I be looking for?
- How do post-acquisition adjustments work under either an asset or entity sale?
- How are ‘due diligence’ and ‘warranties’ related?
- What happens to employees and their entitlements?
- If I am providing or receiving vendor funding, how should it be structured?
- Should I be giving/getting a ‘restraint of trade’, for how long, and do they really hold up?
- Where do things go wrong?
This VideoPost provides a mix of broad commercial principles, as well as some detail around the key legal issues you should be thinking about.
Get yourself prepared
The best way to kick-off the process is to get some knowledge about what’s involved in selling your business – what’s the process going to be like, what do you need to look out for – the pitfalls.
We have prepared the following materials to get you started on the right track:
9 questions to ask yourself before you sell your business. This is a great article to get you started and put you in the best mindset for a successful sale.
Are you really ready to sell your business? This article goes through a short ‘hit list’ of things you need to have in place prior to putting your business on the market.
How should you deal with employees as part of a business sale? This article deals with the important, and technically difficult issue of how to deal with your employees as part of a business sale.
Will I ever realise the true value in my business? This is a note written by Andrew Andreyev, the founder of Andreyev Lawyers, about his own experience in growing a business.
5 things you need to know about vendor finance. Sometimes you need to help the buyer of your business fund the purchase by providing them with a loan.